Biomox (amoxicillin) is a broad-spectrum, semisynthetic antibiotic which provides bactericidal activity against a wide range of common gram-positive and gram-negative pathogens. Indicated for the treatment of bacterial dermatitis and soft tissue infections, including abscesses, wounds, and lacerations in dogs only. Amoxicillin chemically is D-(-)a-amino-p-hydroxybenzyl penicillin trihydrate.
Dosage & Administration: The recommended dosage is 5 mg per pound of body weight administered twice daily for 5 to 7 days or 48 hours after all symptoms have subsided. If no improvement is noted in 5 days, the diagnosis should be reconsidered and therapy change.
Amoxicillin may be given without regard to meals because it is stable in gastric acid. It is rapidly absorbed following oral administration and diffuses readily into most body fluids and tissues. It diffuses poorly into the brain and spinal fluid except when the meninges are inflamed. Most of the amoxicillin is excreted in the urine unchanged.
Action: Amoxicillin has bactericidal activity against susceptible organisms similar to that of ampicillin. It acts by inhibiting the biosynthesis of bacterial wall mucopeptides. Most strains of the following gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria have demonstrated susceptibility to amoxicillin, both in vitro and in vivo:nonpenicillinase-producing staphylococci, alpha- and beta-hemolytic streptococci,Streptococcus faecalis, Escherichia coli andProteus mirabilis. Amoxicillin does not resist destruction by penicillinase; therefore, it is not effective against penicillinase-producing bacteria, particularly resistant staphylococci. Most strains of Enterobacter and Klebsiella and all strains of Pseudomonas are resistant.
Adverse Reactions: Amoxicillin is a semisynthetic penicillin and, therefore, has the potential for producing allergic reactions.